Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Charmed Life" preview: Max Lohrbach

Close-up detail of Max's display, with illustrations and fabrications by the designer.

The MNfashion Week event I've been most looking forward is "Charmed Life," tomorrow at the International Market Square. Produced jointly by l'etoile magazine and METRO Magazine, this unique event will showcase local design as its best (and allow you to do some holiday shopping early). My favorite local designers, including Laura Fulk, ROX by Robyne Robinson, Ferociter, and Ruby3 by Anna Lee are showcasing their latest wearables. But my favorite of all has to be Max Lohrbach. The designer, whose aesthetic and craftsmanship is unparalleled not only locally but on a much greater scale, shared with me a preview of what he'll be showcasing in the IMS showrooms.

Max tells me he will be showing a "large, flat display of paper mannequins, mother, daughter and babe, dressed in silks with bonnets, etc." It includes a crisp silk dot trench dress coat with black silk bindings, covered snaps, "sack" back style, and a similar girl's coat. It's more of a window display in the style of an "18th c. portrait/Madonna" than retail-ready, but Max has always erred on the side of artistic over wearable (though I wear anything I can by him).

Here is Max's silk trench dress coat.

Read more about the event in l'etoile magazine's MNfashion Week Guide or in my MNfashion Week event write-up in last week's Vita.mn.

No comments:

Post a Comment