Tuesday, June 7, 2011

City Pages names George Moskal one of its 100 Creatives

City Pages' continuing 100 Creatives series has just included local fashion and textile designer George Moskal on its list. George has been a fixture of the local fashion community since he first showed at Voltage in 2007. Jessica Armbruster's illuminating interview offers some great George tidbits, like that his textile designs have shown up as wallpaper in a gallery show and on beauty products and cases for Estee Lauder.

[Photo by Stephanie Hynes]

Some choice quotes:

On the challenges of being an independent fashion designer: "I think doing everything myself has been a big challenge. I am kind of at a crossroad where I want to move my brand forward, but I need help with production, business, PR, and finance to really grow. I was using this last show as a test to see if I am going to continue. It's been a lot of work and there have been some highlights, but I feel like I take two steps forward and then stand still. I cannot imagine not designing, so I just have to figure out if I should be selling my work or just creating pieces for shows."

On the increasingly casual culture we live in: "I wish sweat pants and especially pajamas in public would go away. I dress fairly casual, but would not even check my mail in sweats or pajamas."

Read the rest of the interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment